Welcome...

For those that like to dream, come in. For those that like to laugh, come in. For those that like to cry and be inspired...please come in. Our family is like any other, but is extraordinary in it's own right. Come and join us at our campfire and laugh a little, cry a little and leave us, but please come back. We love company...

Monday, January 25, 2010

Go ahead and laugh at yourself...

If there is one constant in the universe it's (aside from God), that everyone once in a while is just plain stupid. We all do those things that make everyone laugh at us, including ourselves...

I was walking out to the garbage the other day and as I walked back across the driveway towards the house (I was walking carefully...new snow and all) I did not see the sheen of ice under the light layer of snow on the driveway....and down I went. Down to all fours...right there in my driveway. Luckily it was early in the morning and I don't think anyone saw me. However, there have been times when several people have seen me. Like the time in the early fall when I was running to Kmart to grab an umbrella to take to Isaac's football game. It was raining and I did not want to sit in the rain. Now, Kmart has those wide yellow lines painted on the asphalt to mark where pedestrians walk...only they can get so slippery when it rains and snows. So there I am, 8 months pregnant with Skyler and talking on the phone to McKenna when poof...my feet went out from under me. Some nice guy and his kid looked horrified and rushed over to help me. I sheepishly said "the only thing that's hurt is my pride...". Wow...could I have felt any more stupid?

Another awesome moment is when I was at my folk's house for a bridal shower. I was standing at the top of the stairs looking up at my dad who was standing on the landing above me, talking to me. I took one step down and again...poof...my feet went out from under me and as I was in mid sentence I did the "ya ya ya ya ya ya" noise all the way down to the bottom of the stairs. My dad had to stretch way over to see me laying at the bottom of the stairs to say "are you ok?". I could hardly answer him through the tears of laughter...

Well, the thing I have come to realize is that no one laughs harder at these stellar "Julie Moments" more than I do. I have after a lifetime of making stupid mistakes learned to laugh at myself. Now mind you, it's awesome to laugh with someone else when they take the fall, but I think you reach a new high when you learn to laugh at yourself.

As an adult I have fallen off chairs in front of people, fallen down, slipped on ice, nearly hit folks with grocery carts, been talking to myself in the car when I realize that the person in the car next to me is laughing at me and so on. The key is to learn to laugh at yourself. We all do dumb things, we all need to laugh at ourselves for it....

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment