Welcome...

For those that like to dream, come in. For those that like to laugh, come in. For those that like to cry and be inspired...please come in. Our family is like any other, but is extraordinary in it's own right. Come and join us at our campfire and laugh a little, cry a little and leave us, but please come back. We love company...

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blindside....

I think everyone can say they honestly have been blindsided at least once in their lifetime. I know I have. Many times in fact. Some moments are bigger than others...some more memorable.

Some of the moments in time where I was blindsided were good moments. Not all of them bad. Late May 1996 when my sister Lori called me out of the blue "I think we are sisters"...that was a good moment...awesome in fact. One that I hold very dear.

Then there's those that I can't say I am as fond of...those that have me still reeling. Again, late May this time 1998...when sitting in the emergency room with Megan thinking to myself that I was overreacting and she was fine. She just had a cold and I was going to look stupid and overprotective. Well...within the hour my eleven month old baby had an IV in her head and was being put into an ambulance headed for Primary Children's Hospital. It took her body 4 days to stabilize she was so sick and it has taken us the last 12 years to try to get a handle on the diabetes, but even that eludes us at times. Just a week ago we had 5 paramedics in our home at 4 in the morning while Megan had a massive seizure due to the diabetes.

Fast forward from May 1998 to July 2009. This time I saw it coming...but was helpless to stop it. I had signs from Skyler for a few days that he too was developing that horrible disease, but I guess I spent a few days in denial. One morning he woke up with all the same signs and symptoms as Megan did and there we were again...at Primary Children's Hospital for 4 days....while we and his body got used to the new routine.

Now, just so everyone knows...these moments were hard, very hard, but happened non the less. It is what it is and we move forward each and everyday as though we knew it was going to happen and it was part of the plan. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Rise above it? These are not the only moments in my life when I got a curve ball when I didn't see it coming, but these are two of the most significant.

I have to recount one more that turned out to be a good one....In December of 1995 I was just breaking up with my boyfriend and trying to decide what to do from there. I was thinking of not working anymore and going back to school. As I prayed about it I got the distinct impression that I needed to prepare for marriage and more motherhood.....how weird is that? I just broke up with my boyfriend and I had no more guys in my life. Within one month that all changed. Jan 15th, 1996 I met Jon we were engaged May 24th and married Aug 7th. Talk about being blindsided. That Christmas I pondered the events of the past year. I broke up with Mike, met Jon, married Jon and was then half way through my pregnancy with Megan. Ever since then life has sort of felt like one huge blindside.....14 years of babies, hospitalizations, stitches, broken bones, 5 moves and anything and everything in between.....

Luckily most of the moments when I have been blindsided I have been so grateful they happened. Good things have come from them. Good things!

No comments:

Post a Comment