Welcome...

For those that like to dream, come in. For those that like to laugh, come in. For those that like to cry and be inspired...please come in. Our family is like any other, but is extraordinary in it's own right. Come and join us at our campfire and laugh a little, cry a little and leave us, but please come back. We love company...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Little boys and their superheros

Drake. I love this boy so much, so so much. He has to be one of the sweetest little guys I have ever known. Every time he comes over he is wearing his Hulk jammies, drags around books about Ironman and wants to watch Spiderman. He loves his superheros. Every little boy does. Each one has a favorite, but they all love them.

With Isaac it was either Superman, or Spidey. Whenever these movies were on he was glued. He has Superman sweatshirts and would even watch Smallville with me in an effort to catch a glimpse of the main character being super.

Joey was all about Batman. Dark, stealthy and had the mask. He always loved the mask. He was Batman three Halloweens in a row. He still has some Batman jammies that he squeezes himself into.

Colby is all about Ironman. Although he does love the Transformers now too. Can they qualify as superheros? In his mind they do. He will talk non stop about Optimus Prime and has had about ten of them in his lifetime. He usually plays with them until their arms and legs are falling off and he can't play anymore. He just loves them. The hero and the villain fighting for the rest of us.

Skyler? Well, we haven't gotten that far yet. I will be curious to see what he loves and how many more superhero sheets I am going to have to buy and how many more movies I will have to watch.

The greatest thing about this all though is that in a little boys mind the superhero is the person that saves the rest of us. The person they look up to, admire, want to be like and love. I really wonder if our spouses know that for most little boys this can also be dad. In fact, in most cases it is dad. I know this just from watching my husband and his boys. I have never seen such adoration as I have seen on my son's faces when they look up to their daddy. When Jon says he's going to Home Depot, he has four little boys that stand in line to go with him. When Jon gets a project going and he lets the boys help they are right there. They don't leave his side and even love to help out.

Jon and Isaac are currently building a lego table together. The last time they worked on it Isaac was right on Jon's heels. He followed him everywhere, hinged on his every word and nothing was going to distract him from doing everything his dad was doing. Last night while Isaac and I were sitting there watching TV together, just the two of us I turned to him and asked him what he thought he wanted to do when he grew up. He said "Well, I am not sure yet, but maybe a pilot, a doctor or maybe what dad does." I am not sure he even knows for sure what dad does. He has been to his office a handful of times, but for the most part he only has a vague idea of what he does. Isaac loves his dad. I am always trying to encourage Jon to spend time with him, give him that "buddy" that he doesn't have with his brothers yet.

When my boys do spend time with their dad, when Jon includes them, treats them as equals or spends the time to teach them things they look up to him like they do a superhero. Even more so I think. A superhero won't hug you when you scrape your knee. A superhero isn't there for your fourth grade Christmas program and a superhero doesn't tuck you in at night and say "I love you". A dad can be so many things to a little boy, they can be everything to him. I have seen it in the eyes of my sons when they look up to their dad. I think they would even believe their dads could fly. They love them that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment