Welcome...

For those that like to dream, come in. For those that like to laugh, come in. For those that like to cry and be inspired...please come in. Our family is like any other, but is extraordinary in it's own right. Come and join us at our campfire and laugh a little, cry a little and leave us, but please come back. We love company...

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The mountains....

I know I never stop complaining about the weather here in Utah. The truth of the matter is that I hate cold weather...everyone who knows me knows this. I don't like driving on icy slushy roads. I don't like 15 coats, 10 pairs of boots, gloves, hats and scarves all over a very small entry way all winter. Digging out the car every morning in order to drive the kids to school. Hoping and praying every single day for months that I will catch a glimpse of the sun that day. It's all so depressing to me. I have made no secret of the fact that I want to move to a warmer climate.
But despite all of that right now I am completely content. The weather is warmer and the canyons are beautiful. I have made several trips up there already this year. I have actually done more in the first month of the summer this year than I had done all summer last year. I have been trying to figure out why.

We have taken the kids to Silver Lake for a walk around the lake. We have taken a hike to Donut Falls. We have taken drives through the canyons just to drive and see the beauty. I have spent several hours on the computer looking for other places to go. I currently have at least three on my list of things to do and see. I want to take the kids to antelope island, East Canyon and a campground up American Fork Canyon. It all sounds wonderful to me.

So why am I so in love with the mountains when I am trying so hard to leave them? I don't really have an answer for you. I know as a family we will eventually move. Not today...not tomorrow....but eventually and maybe my heart wants to get it's fill before we do. Maybe after spending months with ice and snow I am just so excited to see the green trees and beautiful water falls and rivers that I want to get my fill before it all turns to ice and snow again. Maybe it's all of the above. I know I have always loved being outside. Camping, hiking, bike riding, swimming...they all have been at the top of my list of favorite things to do. I love sitting outside while the sun sets and enjoy the warm evenings. I love all kinds of landscapes from desserts and their spectacular sunrises, to a gorgeous sunset over the ocean. Mountains are majestic, and they seem to loom over our valley as though they are there to protect us, to watch over us and I love them for that. I hope to instill some of that love to my children. Teach them of the beauty all around us and try to respect it while enjoying it. Maybe it's the Blackfoot Native American in me...I love it all...

Either way, I am loving being outside right now and if you want to tag along let me know, cause we love the company. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment